Monday, September 1, 2014

Choices


When I first learned that I was diabetic it became apparent that I would have to change my eating habits. I needed to make healthier choices, to eat more protein and veggies, and to forgo carbohydrates. I learned to read labels and packaging, looking for hidden sugars and making my calories count. Some days it was harder than others. I developed a mantra that I repeat to myself even today: “I can eat to live or I can eat to die. Today I choose to eat to live.” Not every day, though. Some days I am tired or discouraged or grumpy, and I eat the wrong things. I eat to die. I didn’t just come up with this and say it once. I repeat it every day. I have to make this choice every day.

The same is true with my Christian life.

I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. So choose life in order that you may live, you and your descendants, by loving the Lord your God, by obeying his voice and holding fast to him. Deuteronomy 30:19-20

First I must choose life, the life that is only found in Jesus. If you have not placed your faith in Jesus for salvation, do so. Do it now. Don’t wait. Why would you choose death? Choose life today.

I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me.
John 14:6

I must also choose each day who I am going to live for. Will I live for myself, investing in temporary and earthly things? Or will I live for the One who gave me life? How will I invest my time and energy? Will my day belong to me or God?

Choose for yourself today whom you will serve… Joshua 24:15

It’s a choice I have to make every single day, sometimes hour-by-hour and minute-by-minute. Will I stop and share God’s love with that inconvenient person? Will I choose to spend a few minutes in the Word? Is my time mine, or his?

Just like choosing to eat for life, I have to choose to live for life and for the One who gave me life. Some days it’s harder than others. Some days all I want to do is nap and eat chocolate. Bring on the brownies! Some days I want to walk by that annoying, needy person without seeing them or stopping to affirm their worth in the eyes of God.

It helps to remember that I am chosen, and was chosen first by God before I even knew that I needed him. My choice to live for him is only possible because I am his beloved. I can be kind because of his kindness to me. I can be patient because of his great patience.

And so, as those who have been chosen by God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience, bearing with one another and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you. And beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity. Colossians 3:12-14

Today, choose life. Choose to live the life that God has given you. Put on life and love like your favorite jeans and t-shirt. Wear them and grow comfortable with them. It’s a daily thing, but it’s worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment