Thursday, August 28, 2014

My Crown!


Something amazing happened this week. I became a grandmother! 
 And it’s doubly amazing because it happened twice! My son and his lovely wife gave birth to Peter David, 8 pounds, 13 ounces and 21 and a half inches long. Perfect in every way. My daughter and her soon-to-be husband (pictured here) became the parents of 20-month-old Sophia, bright and sweet and full of sass, also perfect in every way.

Grandchildren are the crown of the old. Prov. 17:6

Ok, it actually says they are the crown of old men, but I gender- neutraled it because they are my crown too. The point the scripture is making is that grandchildren are awesome, and an honor to their grandparents. Many of you have been grandparents for a long time and already know the joy that is mine today, but to me this is a new thing. I hope you will bear with me.

I love that I am a Nana. I love these little people with an intensity that took me a little by surprise. I love their smell, even after Peter urped on me and my hands smelled like sour baby for the afternoon. I love that Sophia took video with my phone that I didn’t find until the next day. I love their books and songs and little clothes. I love their giggle and coos and the funny noises they make when they sleep. I especially love the sense of purpose that I have as an influence in their little lives.

My job as a grandmother is different than that of a parent. I am not responsible for them, so my input is strictly out of love and a desire for their best. I can love them unconditionally, and influence their values through love. Paul commended Timothy for the sincere faith he saw in him, noting that he knew that it had lived in Timothy’s Grandmother first (2 Tim. 1:5). My life will speak into Peter and Sophia’s, simply through my interaction with them and my example to them. We will walk together and play and talk together, and they will know my heart.

How many times have you heard someone give testimony that the only reason he or she thinks he is alive and not in prison and in relationship with God is because of a praying Grandmother? I consider it a great privilege to pray for my grandchildren (my children, too). I began as soon as I knew of their existence. I will continue for the rest of their lives.

Mothers and fathers brought their children to Jesus to be blessed by him. The disciples shooed them away. They felt that Jesus was too important to be bothered by children.  Jesus didn’t feel that way!

But when Jesus saw this, he was indignant and said to them, “Permit the children to come to Me; do not hinder them; for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it at all." And he took them in his arms and began blessing them, laying his hands upon them. Mark 10:13-16

I have long believed that we in the church should be involved in the lives of whatever children God places in our lives. Whether we are parents or grandparents or aunts or friends, we have much to learn. I have much to learn from my grandchildren. I pray for an open heart to receive. I am excited to learn who these little people are, their likes and gifts and talents and personalities. I am so grateful for the opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment