Thursday, August 21, 2014

Witnesses of Life


A common theme among several of my friends lately has been how to share the gospel of Jesus to others. We all know that we are supposed to be ready to share, but we struggle with how exactly we are supposed to do that. Here are a few guidelines that I have found helpful:

But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect. I Peter 3:15

1. Set Christ as Lord. If you want others to embrace the good news of life in Jesus, they need to see that you have fully embraced it. Live. Be fully alive in him.

2. Be prepared. Read your Bible. Get to know the Jesus you are hoping to introduce others to. Just remember that you will never be completely prepared. God will use you to love others, right where you are.

3. Life in Christ is hope. Because of Jesus, our lives are better. We may not have money and ease, and our physical lives may be difficult, but we have the promise of never going through anything alone. We have access to the peace that passes understanding. Jesus came that we might have joy. Joy is good! A certain future is great! Knowing that we are loved, no matter what, is better yet.

4. Treat others with gentleness and respect. We need to see others as individuals, people about whom God cares deeply, and not notches on our belts. We reach to others for their benefit, not for ours. We are reconcilers, bringing people together in relationship with their God.

You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.  
Acts 1:8

Jesus told his disciples that they would be his witnesses. Not that they needed to do anything to become witnesses, but that they would simply be witnesses. Witnesses are people who testify about what they know. That’s all. They don’t say anything that they don’t know; just tell about what God is doing in their lives. God will give them whatever words they need.

Often I complicate the matter. How can I convince others to accept the love that Jesus has for them? How can I save people? These are questions asked out of my own fear, not out of love or faith. I don’t want to look foolish, or fail. What if someone else’s salvation depends on me? What a silly question! I can’t save anyone. I can’t convince anyone or coerce anyone into heaven. The Holy Spirit is the agent of salvation, not me.

My job is to abide, to live immersed in the love of Jesus, and to live that love for others. I am alive! Life is good. No fear. Just love. Witnessing to others the love that Jesus is living out in my life. Radiating joy. God will do the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment